Sunday, March 28, 2010

Update?!?

At the behest of my friend Rob, here's the update:

With regards to trip planning, it's obvious that at least part of my trip did not turn out.  But I will be spending a day and a half in Geneva (the greater portion of a day will likely be in the Alps), which will be nice.  And then I'll be back in Paris for six days.  Which will be awesome.  Sure, I may not revisit the Eiffel again, but it'll be nice to visit the rest of the stuff I never got to see.

In other news, though, I've been keeping up pretty well with the NCAA tournament, seeing most of the MSU-Tenn game and the end of the Duke-Baylor game.  MSU-Tenn was definitely one of the most gripping games.  Maybe it was because I chose to personally invest myself into the "Izzotron" with Ohio State's unceremonious dismissal by Tennessee, but most likely it was a preference for the Big Ten over the SEC (and, let's face facts.  The SEC sucks.  Also, they were a pretty weak basketball conference this year).

But this has led me to a bracket-picking discovery.  It's unbelievably hard to pick against the Izzotron.  You just can't.  Unless there's some beyond-overwhelming disadvantage, the Izzo makes up for that.  He's some mastermind and genius, and his teams that he puts out, no matter what deficiencies, are always playing crazy good defense and are pretty disciplined (i.e. free throw shooting, etc.).  The discipline played a big part, I think.  Tennessee shot pretty poorly from the line, which cost them especially down the stretch (it's what also cost Kentucky vs. WVU...notice an SEC trend here?).

So here's the picks for here on out:

MSU vs. Butler: MSU
WVU vs. Duke: WVU

MSU vs. WVU: WVU

The only outcome I'm pretty adamant about though, is WVU advancing to the final.  I'm not sure Duke can keep up with WVU.  MSU-Butler seems like a tossup.  If MSU has enough rest they can do it.  But, one might have to imagine Butler advancing given a hometown game.  This occurred last year given Michigan State's run and advancing to the title game in Detroit (though they got blown out by UNC in the title game).

Aside from that, there's not a whole lot that's been going on.  I did meet up with one of the kids of the  family I know here in London (mentioned VERY early on),  and got coffee and chatted.  He was pretty much mortified with the way doctoring is set up in the US, with the whole medical malpractice deal and the fact that there's no real protective body for doctors, and the fact that becoming a full-on doctor takes much longer.  That sort of stuff.

I did go out for a drink with a friend, and met some of his college friends, which was nice, but I just couldn't miss the rest of the Duke-Baylor game so I came back for that.  Sounds lame, but it really isn't, haha.

That's all for now, I'll update again in a few days or something.  Most of my week will be getting all that trip stuff prepared and studying for exams.  Not very exciting, unfortunately.

Cheers,
-e.

NP: The Velvet Underground - VU


This is steadily becoming my favorite Velvet Underground record, for reals.  Within the last 24 hours, I've probably listened to it all at least 5 times.  Yeah, about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment